21 February 2011

To wheat, or not to wheat - that is the question...

So. Wheat. Blamed for so many problems when actually it probably isn't the cause. Can be difficult to digest for some, but is that because they are intolerant to wheat, or because there is an underlying problem that is causing weak digestion?

I went to see a very high profile food intolerance person a few years ago. His nutritionist worked with me for a few weeks as I was doing an elimination diet. My food diary revealed that when I ate wheat and/or gluten my symptoms worsened. Hence she recommended that I cut out wheat and gluten for a while. I duly did so. It helped. WOW, I thought. Perhaps this is the answer! Cue lots of research on coeliac disease and gluten intolerance. It seemed to fit so many of my symptoms so I decided to carry on eating gluten-free.

After a while, my symptoms all started to creep back in, and I felt like I was back at square one again. Perhaps gluten and wheat WEREN'T the culprits after all. However, I wanted to be sure so I went to see a gastroenterologist who did some tests. My blood test came back showing a sensitivity to gluten. So there was something in it after all? The gastroenterologist reckoned it was pretty likely I was coeliac but to be sure we decided to do the endoscopy. I wasn't. Great to know, but also confusing... my blood test showed a sensitivity but I wasn't coeliac. So what, just don't eat wheat too often? How often is too often? Should I carry on being gluten-free?

This all got me thinking that there must be something else causing all these sensitivities (I had by this point built up a long list of foods that in no way was I allergic to, but I knew all gave me problems).

Which brings me to my point - there are a LOT of people who are allergic/intolerant to wheat and gluten, but I think for a lot of people it's a case of having weakened digestion from some other problem which means that digesting wheat (and, let's be honest, we tend to overload our bodies with it on a daily basis) can be tricky. The answer then is not necessarily just to cut wheat out - yes, this may help initially as you're giving your digestive system a break - but to eat less of it whilst you figure out what could be causing you to be sensitive to it.

Have you thought that maybe it's the yeast in the bread, not the wheat that could be causing the problem?

Is it the additives in processed bread and cakes etc?

Has a parasite made holes in your gut wall so food is getting into the wrong places and your immune system attacks it?

Personally I find that wholemeal flour works better for me. Spelt too. And homemade bread with no nasties at all. Or a nice organic loaf from a supermarket where the only ingredients are what you'd put in it yourself, but you don't have time this week...

So, I guess all I'm saying, is give wheat a chance...

2 comments:

  1. I don't think it's a coincide that the reporting of of food allergies and intolerances has risen as food production has become increasingly industrialised and shopping baskets are filled with refined, processed food. It really saddens me to think that cooking from scratch isn't the norm for many people, and I think if more people did, their health would improve.

    Lovely new blog x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to eat a gluten free diet because of having bowel surgery when I was 18 which left me with a stomach full of adhesions. My gastroenterologist put me on a Low FODMAP diet which is the pits!!
    I'll be travelling to London from Australia soon and will be taking note of your blogs. I am so happy to have stumbled upon them!

    ReplyDelete